Église réformée Saint-Paul – St.Paul’s Reformed Church
St. Paul’s church - on the central axis of Neustadt
St. Paul’s church was built in the neo-Gothic style by Louis Muller between 1892 and 1897 and is located at the tip of the island of Sainte-Hélène, the meeting point of the Ill and Aar rivers. The church stood out prominently in its location bordering the main avenue of the new Neustadt district, built by the Imperial German authorities following the annexation of 1871.
A Protestant church, originally built for the German garrison, it can take up to 3000 worshippers. 2 pews are located either side of the choir, one of which was reserved for the Imperial couple and the other for the local representative of the Empire. The large number of doors around the church were designed to allow soldiers to enter the building according to their rank. Its exterior shows its imposing volume, balanced by the rose window above the main entrance, the tower crowning the transept crossing and the 2 slim spires topping the towers at the front, which combine to offer an elegant and marvellously fluid ensemble.
Damaged by bombing in 1944
The church was damaged by bombing in 1944, with the stained-glass windows blown out and its adjoining chapel destroyed. The southern arm of the transept survived, with the coats of arms of Germany and its Confederate states, including Alsace, as well as the upstairs galleries, characteristic of Lutherian Protestant temples. The organ, built in 1897, was listed as a historical monument in 1987 for the instrument and in 1995 for its neo-Gothic case, one of the largest in France.
- Tram C, E or F - Gallia
- Bus 10 or 30 - Gallia
1 place du Général Eisenhower