Palais des fêtes
One of the first uses of Art Nouveau à Strasbourg
The Palais de Fêtes is located on the corner of rue Sellénick and rue de Phalsbourg. Built in 1903, it stands out through its eclectic neo-Gothic architecture, neo-Renaissance turrets and gables and Art Nouveau windows and balcony. It was also one of the first buildings to be constructed using concrete and to feature Art Nouveau in its architecture.
The Palais de Fêtes has seating for 1700 people and was for a long time the main concert hall of Strasbourg. World-famous conductors such as Gustav Mahler, Richard Strauss and Charles Munch have given concerts here, while it has also been home to many smaller-scale events organised by local music societies.
A new lease of life
Renovated and extended over the years, the internal decoration has gradually been replaced, although the stained-glass windows and the organ (inaugurated in 1909 by Albert Schweitzer) still remain. The building is to be given a new lease of life following its latest renovation, started by the City Council in 2011. The main rooms, including the concert hall, are being restored and the building will be home to the municipal ballet school, the Strasbourg chorale, the Philharmonie Orchestra and the centre Flora Tristan. Like the original building, it will also feature a brasserie restaurant and will once again be a central part of Strasbourg’s cultural identity.
- Bus 10 - Palais des Fêtes
- Bus 2 - Phalsbourg
5 rue Sellénick