Les Grandes Boucheries or municipal slaughterhouse
Originally for Strasbourg’s butchers
The original building in the Middle Ages was full of butchers’ stalls, where they would cut up their meat and sell it. It is interesting to note the names of the streets around the Grandes Boucheries, which show that the area was largely given over to selling food. In 1586, the buildings were no longer fit for their purpose and a large, new centre, made of stone, was built with a great hall on the ground floor for the butchers. The building was also used as a warehouse by other merchants.
In the 17th century, the building was extended with the addition of 2 wings, forming a courtyard at the rear of the building, giving onto the river Ill. The building, with its spiral central staircase under a pointed roof, can best be seen from the other side of the river, from the quai des Bateliers.
The Grandes Boucheries, the Decorative Arts Museum and the Historical Museum
When the slaughterhouse was transferred in 1859, the building was initially closed down and then used for a variety of purposes, before being chosen in 1897 to house the Decorative Arts Museum (Hohenlohemuseum).
In 1920, the decorative arts collection was transferred to the château des Rohan and the building was turned into the Historical Museum. The museum’s collections and buildings were completely restored and refitted from 1987 to 2007 and are now open to the public again. One of the most notable features of the collection is the huge plan-relief of Strasbourg, drawn in 1727, which is an extraordinary detailed depiction of the city, its surroundings and the fortifications around it.
- Bus 10 - Corbeau
- Bus 24 - Ancienne Douane
2 rue du vieux marché aux poissons
Phone : +33 (0)3 88 52 50 00