Cité de la musique et de la Danse
The Cité de la musique et de la danse (music and dance centre) was designed by Paris architect Henri Gaudin and officially opened in May 2006. It is part of an extended cultural area running along the bassin d'Austerlitz waterfront, which also includes the André Malraux media centre and the community archives.
Gaudin’s design drew its inspiration from the tower of the cathedral and the nearby water and is based on 2 patios, with large windows illuminating the connecting corridors. The building materials and colours were carefully chosen to be in keeping with the urban and architectural environment.
Henri Gaudin, architect
Gaudin was born in Paris in 1933 and grew up in La Rochelle. He has twice won the Equerre d'Argent, a French architecture award, the first time for social housing in Evry-Courcouronnes (Essonne) in 1986, and again in 1994 for Paris’s Stade Charléty. He was awarded the Grande Médaille d'Or by the French Academy of Architecture in 1994.
Before he became an architect in 1966, Gaudin worked in the merchant navy and his work (especially his port buildings) reflects his continuing love of the sea.
- Tram A or D - Étoile Bourse
- Tram E or F - Étoile Polygone
- Bus 15, 14 or 24 - Étoile Bourse or Sécurité sociale
- Highway exit "Place de l'Étoile"
- Bicycle path nearby
The entire building is wheelchair accessible.
- Conservatoire de Strasbourg
- Musica Festival Office
- Pôle Alsace d'enseignement supérieur des arts
- Café-restaurant of the Conservatory : tel. +33 (0)3 88 84 75 12.
The Cité de la musique et de la danse is built on a 5,218 m² plot. Its net floor area (SHON) is 14,079 m², its usable floor floor area 8,857 m². The many terraces and inner courtyards explain this important difference.
1 place Dauphine
Phone : +33 (0)3 68 98 51 00